Wednesday 5 January 2011

The Arabian Elixir

The dreadful weather in London and my frozen heart drove me to seek warmer climes pre-Christmas so I fled to see my brother in Dubai...

Had a truly wonderful time - it's amazing what a difference a change of scenery can make, and actually going out and having fun, and putting all the dreadful things to one side. I think I am gradually doing better at dealing with the pain of my recent relationship breakup although I am concerned that I am just suffocating it and perhaps not really acknowledging it...?

Spending time with my brother was awesome although in many ways his life is even more complicated than mine. This got me thinking about whether the status quo that we all accept as the norm in current society is actually an antiquated ideal. In a world where so many people are travelling more than they ever did, living overseas and encountering so many different people, and living longer than ever before, is it unrealistic to expect people to commit to a relationship with one person for life and remain loyal to that person? Surely in an ever expanding world, we cannot continue to believe that there is one person out there who is meant for us, one soulmate? Is that not a theory that was suitable for the world of preceding generations when people's lives tended to be narrower and consisted of a smaller group of people?

Whilst in Dubai I found myself thinking that men are really like buses - just as one fades into the distance, another one seems to appear on the horizon...

No comments:

Post a Comment